It’s that time of year again! Time for taking summer vacations to the beach and the pool. One sure fire way to ruin an otherwise perfect trip is by having a case of fungal nails. If you get them before you go, you could spend the entire time covering up your feet and missing out on the summer fun. If you don’t take proper precautions, you could also pick up a fungal nail infection during your vacation, and there’s certainly nothing fun about that. Fortunately there are things you can do to prevent fungus from finding you.
- Trim you nails properly—at home, use a nail trimmer and file to keep your nails straight across your toes.
- Dry thoroughly—after bathing or swimming, be sure to fully dry your feet and the spaces between your toes too.
- Wear proper socks—by wearing moisture-wicking socks, you’ll help keep your feet dry and fungus away.
- Use antifungal spray or powder—spray or sprinkle your feet with antifungal spray. Also sprinkle the inside of your shoes while you’re at it.
- Don’t go barefoot—summer gets hot in Bethpage, NY and we know it can be tempting to go barefoot, but don’t! When in locker rooms, public showers, or by the pool, always wear shoes to avoid picking up a fungal infection.
Don’t let fungal nails ruin your summer vacation. Call Mark Gasparini, D.P.M. at (516) 804-9038 for help, or visit our Bethpage, NY location. We’ll give you even more tips to help keep you and your family safe from fungal nails all summer long.
Photo Credit: Evgeni Dinev via FreeDigitalPhotos.net