After that long, harsh winter, our New York spring has finally arrived! This is certainly welcome news for many of our neighbors, but we understand that arthritis foot pain can leave you less-than-excited about the opportunity for outdoor activities. When this is the case, it is important to know that there is help for your condition.
You may be able to find relief for your arthritic foot pain by using the following home remedies:
- Medication. Always check with us first for your personal safety, but there are over-the-counter medications that alleviate painful symptoms you are experiencing. Typically, we recommend nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Stretch. In order to better handle your arthritis, using stretching exercises for your feet to improve your mobility and flexibility. Do not push yourself too far, but keeping your soft tissues (muscles and tendons) limber can help reduce arthritic pain.
- Massage. This is not a cheap ploy to become your favorite Nassau County podiatrist because we recommend something that feels so good! Massages can actually provide arthritis relief. Ask your partner or a loved one to gently knead your toes and balls of your feet for a soothing effect.
- Exercise. When you have pain from arthritis, it may be difficult to find the motivation for physical activity, but strengthening your muscles can take pressure off of your painful joints and make you feel better in the long run. Check with our office first to see what we recommend for your specific case, but swimming and weight lifting (even with light weights) may be beneficial.
- Choose the right shoes. Proper footwear makes a huge difference when it comes to an array of foot issues or conditions, including arthritis. You need to opt for models that are supportive and comfortable. Arch supports prevent joints from excessive movement that can accompany arthritis in your feet. Rocker-bottom soles might provide further benefit by taking over some of the work for your feet.
Home remedies for arthritis foot pain can certainly be helpful, but consulting with the caring professionals here at Foot Specialists of Long Island is even better! Our Massapequa, NY office looks forward to helping you find the arthritis relief you need. Give us a call at (516) 804-9038 or use our online form to schedule an appointment with us today.
Photo Credit: thephotoholic via FreeDigitalPhotos.net