We don’t have to tell you that COVID-19 has fundamentally changed the normal routines of life for people around the globe—and that it’s hit our own region especially hard.
It will pass, and we will get through this. However, in the meantime you may be concerned about what to do about an emerging or worsening foot or ankle problem. Unfortunately, pain and injuries can still happen even during a pandemic, and many problems simply cannot wait indefinitely for answers.
Fortunately, the Foot Specialists of Long Island can help. On this page, you’ll learn more about our telemedicine services, as well as how we’re protecting patients who do need to make a trip to our office during these surreal times.
What Is Telemedicine? How Can It Help Me?
In simple terms, telemedicine is when your doctor uses video conferencing technology to provide necessary clinical services to you, even when you are far apart.
Telemedicine is a great option for many kinds of appointments. During a virtual appointment, we can:
- Visually inspect your feet and ankles and talk with you about your symptoms, activities, etc. to arrive at a potential diagnosis.
- Follow up with you after a previous procedure or diagnostic test to review results and ensure everything is going smoothly.
- Help you determine the next steps forward, including what home care approaches might be effective, and whether you need further in-office care.
Of course, not all kinds of appointments can happen remotely. But if your appointment does not necessarily require an in-person procedure or diagnostic test, we strongly encourage you to consider telemedicine—especially if you or someone you live with is considered high risk for complications related to COVID-19.
If you aren’t sure whether your specific need can be handled via telemedicine, please just call us and ask! We are happy to help.
What Do I Need?
The great news is that you probably already have everything you need:
- A device that can make video calls. Almost any smartphone will do, as well as laptop or desktop computers if they have a camera and microphone (built in or otherwise).
- A browser supported by our Doxy.me telemedicine service (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari) on your device.
- A stable, reliable wireless or wired internet connection.
Although it isn’t required, we also encourage you to invite a trusted member of your household to sit in with you on the call, if one is available. An extra person in the room can help with notetaking, working the camera, and other support tasks.
What Can I Expect on the Day of My Appointment?
As mentioned above, we are using a service called Doxy.me to facilitate our telemedicine appointments. Don’t worry—you won’t have to sign up for any user accounts, remember any passwords, or download any special software. The HIPAA-compliant secure video feed will play right in your browser.
Once we have your appointment scheduled, we’ll email or text you a link with the room code. Just click that link when it’s time for your appointment, type in your name, and click “check in” to enter our virtual waiting room. If for any reason you don’t see or can’t find your invite, you can also find it here:
Once you are checked in and Dr. Gasparini or Dr. Chhabra is ready for you, we will begin the appointment!
What If I Still Need to Make an In-Person Visit?
Obviously, some services still need to be performed in person. If you need a certain diagnostic test, injection, foot care product, or other specific treatment or procedure, you will need to visit our office.
We want to assure you that we are doing everything in our power to keep our office a safe and healthy environment for all our patients. Steps we are taking include:
- Strictly observing all CDC recommended guidelines. That includes frequently sanitizing all patient rooms and contacted surfaces, sterilizing equipment, using protective equipment, and maintaining social distance to the greatest extent possible.
- Wait in your car. If you wish, you may remain in your car rather than sitting in our waiting room. Simply call us when you arrive and let us know you are here. Once we are ready for you, we’ll call you and let you know you can head straight back—no need to sit in the waiting room.
- Curbside pickup. If you need an over-the-counter item such as new inserts for your shoes, antifungal medications, etc., you do not need to get out of your car at all. Call us when you get here and tell us what you need. You can pay over the phone using your credit card information, and we can bring the item(s) out to you.
The Doctor Will See You—Wherever You Happen to Be!
If you’re ready to request your telemedicine appointment with Dr. Gasparini or Dr. Chhabra, please complete the form on this page.
A member of our office will follow up with you during our regular office hours to schedule your appointment, make sure you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
If you’d prefer, you can also reach out to us directly by phone at (516) 804-9038.
We look forward to serving you—wherever you happen to be!