In our last blog, we discussed the risk factors of falls in the elderly, and how those risks can increase with each decade of life. Consequences of a fall, such as hip fractures and traumatic brain injuries, can greatly impact the health and independence of older adults. Luckily, preventing falls is possible by taking a pro-active approach to reducing risks.
Here are some tips on staying safe and preventing falls:
- Exercise – exercise can increase strength and improve balance.
- Physical Therapy – Physical therapy can provide additional balance and strength training, aerobic exercise, help with walking, and teach you ways to exercise safely.
- Moore Balance Brace – this brace is a prescribed custom-made ankle foot orthosis (AFO), which is designed to fit easily into recommended shoes.
- Be mindful of medication – Medications that have side effects such as dizziness and drowsiness can make falling more likely. Have your doctor and pharmacist review all your medications with you.
- Keep your vision sharp – Older adults should have their eyes checked every year. Wear glasses or contact lenses with the right prescription to ensure clear vision.
- Home safety – remove things you can trip over. Make sure there is enough lighting in the house. Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and on shower floors. Wear shoes both inside and outside the house. Avoid going barefoot or wearing slippers.
- Stay hydrated – this will make you less likely to feel dizzy
- Wear properly fitting shoes – shoes that are too big can make you trip, while shoes that are too small can cause foot problems that alter your gait.
- Fall prevention programs – take advantage of these educational resources to help reduce fear of falling, set goals for physical activity, learn ways to fall-proof your home, and more.
If you need more information, please feel free to contact us at our Masspequa, NY location or call Foot Specialists of Long Island at (516) 804 – 9038. You can also reach us online by filling out our form.
Photo credit: stockimages via freedigitalphotos.net